Wednesday, April 11, 2012

green juice and my inability to eat salad

I am intrigued with the idea of juicing. Not the Jose Canseco or Barry Bonds kind, but you know, the I smooshed a bunch of vegetables and then drank what was left kind. One of my favorite people had a juicer she isn't using right now and said I could borrow it and give it a whirl. (Whirl. Juicer. Ha, I crack me up) 

Coincidentally, the day I picked up the juicer I forced asked the husband to watch a documentary with me that is on Netflix, called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Turns out, it's a film about an Australian dude bloke who came to America, drove around in his car and did a 60 day (!!) juice fast. It's an interesting film, and the animation is cute in it when he is explaining the medical stuff. 

ANYWHO...After watching that and borrowing this new toy I was excited to get after it. I found a recipe for green-something-something-lemonade and decided to try it. Please to enjoy.

Awesome use of Instagram, no?

The contents of this juice is kale, spinach, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 lemon, green apple and celery. Which for the record, I loathe celery. It's stinky and no peanut butter does NOT make it better, it ruins perfectly good peanut butter.

This neon concoction was actually surprisingly light and pleasant. It tasted fresh and summery and tangy. (yes summer has a taste, I think it's cucumber/grass)

Look Ma! I'm almost finished!
Without getting too much into the nutritional arguments I'm not sure what I think. On one hand, it is certainly more vegetables than I would normally consume, so that has to go in the pro column, but on the other hand, a whole BUNCH of pulp was flung out of the back, which I would assume has nutritional value like...uh...fiber.

What I'd really like is one of those fancy-shmancy Vitamix blenders that is so powerful you can throw all the veggies you want into it and it pulverizes all the veggies into a juice/smoothie and you don't waste anything. BUT until one of the two of you who reads this wants to buy me one or give me the $500+ so I can buy one myself I doubt there is any vitamixing in my near future. 

I can hear you saying, "MB! Eat a salad and get over it." Good point, but honestly, I just don't really like salad. Not everyday anyway. I need some other conduit to move the leafy goodness into my belly. I eat a lot of veggie wraps, but that doesn't have the volume of the good stuff I'm looking for.

So no point to this post really, other than to share my latest nutritional experimenting.

What do you think? Yay or Nay on juicing? or blending? or salad hating? What say ye interwebs?

6 comments:

  1. I am a blender fan. I blend kale and spinach with yogurt frozen strawberries, blueberries, an apple or a banana some ice and water. My kids love it. I would like a vitamix too...I just use my old blender that is more than 15 years old, it works just fine.
    I do juice carrots sometimes for a vitamin c boost but we all like the smoothies better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that juicing is good, if you also eat whole foods with fiber the rest of the time. The premise is that the phytochemicals are absorbed faster and in greater quantity when separated from the fiber. You might try using your current blender for green smoothies to see how it does. A Vitamix is good for clobbering veggies without burning the motor out, but your blender might do an acceptable job, notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vitamix is easily the best $500 I ever spent! I use it every single day to make things like smoothies (my favorite!), juices (with lots of pulp), nut milks, pesto, hummus, other sauces and spreads, salad dressings, and even my own nut butter. It's the one kitchen appliance I could not live without (seriously, I'd give up my oven, dishwasher, and maybe even my fridge before I parted with my Vitamix!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a vitamix and a juicer. I really like both of them :) I use the vitamix a lot more these days. When health is your hobby, it's worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ιt іs the bеst time to make ѕomе plans foг thе
    future аnd it's time to be happy. I've reаd this poѕt and іf I mаy just Ι wаnt to suggest уou few fasсinating thingѕ or tips.

    Pеrhaps уou саn wгite next artісleѕ relating tо thiѕ artіcle.
    Ι ωаnt tο learn even mοre iѕsueѕ approximаtely
    it!

    My ωeblog abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. My spouse and I ѕtumbled оver hеrе from a differеnt web ρаge аnd thought I may аs well check things out.

    Ι like what I see so now і'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

    Feel free to visit my web page - abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete